Today’s guest is a professional adventure, outdoor and travel photographer. He is an official Fujifilm X Photographer and during his eighteen year career, his work has been published in National Geographic Adventure, Outside Magazine, Nikon, Fujifilm, Patagonia, The North Face, Backpacker Magazine, Outdoor Photographer and Alaska Magazine. With a highly energetic shooting style and a passion for exploration, he strives to create dynamic imagery that communicates the power and mystery of the greater scene. He is the author of 6 photography eBooks, and his first print book, Outdoor Action and Adventure Photography, was published last month by Focal Press.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
The Finer Details of Episode 23 with Dan Bailey! He shares ………..
- His bike trip over the highest passes in the world.
- How he taught himself the craft of photography.
- The differences between adventure photography & travel photography.
- What is means to be sponsored by Fjui.
- What sponsorship means and why you need to love the product to be a great ambassador.
- Why you should think about using a mirrrorless camera.
- Why he thinks Fuji XT1 is the perfect lightweight camera for taking crystal clear photos.
- A great breakdown of DSLR vs mirrrorless cameras.
- Why he believes mirrorless cameras are the future in photography.
- Lot’s more great photography tips!
Dan also shares his belief that if you are good at something and have a passion for it, there is room for it in the world. We also talk about how each success builds and lays ground work for the next success as well as about a lot of great photography tips. Some of the main points we discuss are:
- Dan’s top tips for travel photography including; framing, the rule of 3rds, post editing, shooting in raw and where your horizon line needs to be.
- Why every travel photographer and travel writer needs at least one fast lens.
- Why you need to understand crop sensors.
- How his blog got him a book deal.
- What it’s like to go on assignment for Holland America Magzine.
- What it’s like to work with a photo editor of a travel magazine.
- The key to making money with stock photography.
- His #1 tip to make money as a travel photographer.
Fujifilm X-T1 16 MP Mirrorless Digital Camera (top end pro camera)
Fujifilm X-E2 16.3 MP Mirrorless Digital Camera
Dan’s book, Outdoor Action and Adventure Photography
The Compelling Image Course with Dan
Alaska Photo Treks
Hope you enjoyed this episode and please join me in thanking Dan for being here! And thank you as well. We’ll see you next time!
Would You Help Spread the Word About the Podcast? I’d be forever grateful if you helped share the podcast. Click here for a pre-populated tweet to help spread the word to your friends on Twitter. THANK YOU!
Feedback on the Podcast If you have any suggestions for upcoming shows or a question for an upcoming episode, leave a comment below. If you enjoyed this podcast, I’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave me a review and rating over on iTunes. Your taking a minute to do this allows me to help more people with this podcast, so I really appreciate it (once on that page, simply click on the “View in iTunes” button to leave your review — thanks very much!)