When you dream about your travel writing career, do you imagine yourself hiking Machu Picchu, on safari in Africa or sipping a Mai Tai in the Caribbean? Maybe wandering the streets of Paris, where you stop at a cafe for a coffee and draft an article about your world travels.
If you have travel stories to tell and want to add additional income to your travel blogging bank, there are a lot of markets that pay. If you want to share your stories about the places you have traveled, travel tips, and your experiences on the road check out these magazines and websites that pay for travel writing.
Get published and paid for your travel writing
Before we get to the list. You might be asking yourself why you should write for other publications if you already have a website or blog.
- Reason #1: There are many print publications that pay. If you haven’t monetized your website or want to add additional income to your travel writing account, writing for print will help.
- Reason #2: Writing for print or other online websites that pay help to diversify your income streams. What if your big affiliate closes it’s doors tomorrow and that stream of income dried up?
- Reason #3: For 90% of us, adding additional outlets in addition to your website or blog will land you more media trips.
Here are 50 Print and Online publishers who pay:
(All of the links below are clickable, so check out all the options!)
- 21st Century Adventures
- Airtran Airways Go Magazine
- American Airlines American Way Magazine
- American Eagle Airlines: Latitudes Magazine
- AOL Travel
- BootsNAll Here are their guidelines.
- Budget Travel Contact: Letters@BudgetTravel.com
- Canadian Geographic Magazine Contact: email@example.com
- Culture Connect
- Delta Airlines Delta Sky Magazine Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Guidelines are here.
- Destination Elsewhere
- Emirates Airline Open Sky Magazine Contact: email@example.com
- Escapees Magazine Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fodors Contact: email@example.com
- Gadling Contact: Full list of editors and writers here. You can also try their contact form.
- Galavanting Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org & read their guidelines here.
- Glimpse Abroad
- GoNomad Contact: email@example.com & full guidelines here.
- Hawaiian Airlines Hana Hou! Magazine Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- In the Know Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Intrepid Travel
- Journey Woman
- Literary Traveler Contact: email@example.com
- Lost Girls World Contact: See guidelines here for department contacts & full guidelines here.
- Matador Network Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org & Read their guidelines and submit articles here.
- National Geographic Traveler Magazine
- Northwest Magazines Contact: Alicia@nwmags.com & see full listing here.
- Outpost Magazine
- Outside Magazine Read their guidelines here.
- Perceptive Travel
- Road and Travel Magazine
- Southwest Airlines
- Student Traveler
- Sunset Magazine Contact: email@example.com
- Tales of Asia
- Tango Diva
- The Expeditioner Contact: Matt.Stabile@TheExpeditioner.com
- The Travel Junkie
- The Travel MagazineTransitions Abroad Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Travel and Leisure Contact: go here and click the link under “Editorial Submissions”.
- Travel Belles Contact: email@example.com
- Verge Magazine Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org & read their full guidelines here.
- United Airlines Hemispheres Magazine Contact: email@example.com
- Wanderlust Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Editor: Dan Linstead Editor-in-chief: Lyn Hughes
- Wend Contact: email@example.com & specific departments listed here.
- World Hum Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org & full guidelines here.
Ask yourself why you’re doing this. Some publications pay well enough to live on… others, not so much.
Some give great exposure. Others provide valuable links for SEO (and traffic).
What do you look for when writing for travel publications? What advice can you provide?
If you find any of the above links aren’t current please let me know in the comments and I’ll update the list. Also, please leave any additional publications you know of that are currently paying.
PIN FOR LATER!