Miwa Ogletree is my guest on this episode. She is a Oahu travel PR and marketing expert. Learn the proper process to approach her and other Hawaii marketing representatives. You’ll also learn her tips to use marketing reps to your advantage and she shares the do’s and don’ts of working with a travel marketing rep and how to impress any travel marketing representative.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
BITW 009: How to Connect and Work with Oahu Travel Marketing Reps with Miwa Ogletree
Details and about the episode & Miwa:
Today’s guest is a Hawaii Travel Expert. She has worked in the Hawaii Travel Industry for over 12 years and is the Director of Marketing at Waikiki Beach Services, the Director of Marketing for the Fourever Fab Show and the Owner of All In Circles, a Marketing Consulting firm.
She assists companies in the Travel Industry such as Oahu Ghost Tours, Waikiki Beach Services, Fourever Fab Show, Romano’s Macaroni Grill, Hilo Hattie, Special Events Hawaii, Cirque Hawaii, IHOP Hawaii restaurants, Diamond Bakery, GO! Airlines, Aloha Live Show and Special Events Hawaii. She is the official Social Media person for Made In Hawaii Festival (@MadeInHI) and my first bilingual guest to speak both Japanese and English.
Join us to hear what Miwa Ogletree has to say on 9th episode of Break Into Travel Writing.
The Finer Details of This Show Include:
- The process of a travel writer request in Oahu.
- Learn about my husband Todd’s surf lesson with Waikiki Beach Services.
- Learn what a business and travel marketing rep really wants from a travel writer.
- The two 2nd languages you should learn if you want to work in Hawaii.
- How to connect with Miwa and other marketing reps. Direct isn’t always the right avenue.
- Always keep in mind the culture of Hawaii when approaching business owners as well as marketing and PR reps.
- Learn if you should or shouldn’t let the marketing rep or client proof your article before you publish.
- And loads more!
Miwa also shares his insights on how to start a relationship with a Marketing rep and what they are looking for in coverage from a writer. Some of the main points we discuss are:
- Expectations of coverage from travel writers.
- How to use a marketing rep to your advantage to write the best story.
- Always ask what makes a business different from it’s competition.
- Why when you ask politely you almost always get extras or freebies.
- Why you always need to double check photos when using stock photography.
- The #1 thing that will impress Miwa and any other marketing rep.
- Miwa’s tips to break into travel writing.
Be sure to listen to hear what Miwa has to say about how a few social media strategies can make a huge difference in your travel writing efforts. There’s plenty more Miwa shares on today’s show on that same subject – and she offers great insights! One of my favorites might seem obvious, but is often overlooked “Always tag a destination or business when posting on social media when on a media visit.”
Be sure to listen to hear her bonus tips for connecting with restaurant managers and how to create relationships with marketing reps even when you are brand new at travel writing. Have a listen to get the inside scoop, and then join me in thanking Miwa for being here! And thank you as well.
Would You Help Spread the Word About the Podcast? I’d be forever grateful if you helped share the podcast. Click here for a pre-populated tweet to help spread the word to your friends on Twitter. THANK YOU!
Feedback on the Podcast If you have any suggestions for upcoming shows or a question for an upcoming episode, leave a comment below. If you enjoyed this podcast, I’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave me a review and rating over on iTunes. Your taking a minute to do this allows me to help more people with this podcast, so I really appreciate it (once on that page, simply click on the “View in iTunes” button to leave your review — thanks very much!)