Matt Long is an award winning travel blogger, writer and photographer. He is a writer, photographer and influencer specializing in experiential luxury Travel. He shares his adventures with thousands of readers every day through his site LandLopers.com. He has been to more than 70 countries and all 7 continents. In addition to his own site, he is also the Editor of the RoamRight.com travel blog, works with Trivago as a consulting editor and is the Director, North America for iAmbassador.net.
The Finer Details of Episode 36 with Matt Long! Matt shares why he defines himself as a typical Gen-Xer and why his goal is life is to travel. He also shares how he has turned travel into a full time gig! We also talked about:
- His travel perspective and why his average trip is seven to 10 days.
- Digital marketing campaigns, media trips and vacations.
- His eight favorite books.
- His definition of luxury travel and why is more about the experience than the cost.
- Why experiential travel is what people are seeking now.
- His fly cruise to Antartica from Chile.
- His experience with the Afar Ambassador program.
- Benefits of trade associations.
- Why there is no barrier of entry to become a travel blogger.
- How PTBA was created and why.
- Benefits of joining PTBA.
- How he makes a living as a travel blogger.
- Why you need to make money outside of your website.
- Iambassador consortium of bloggers and influencers.
- Why PR and Marketing pros don’t utilize bloggers to the fullest.
- Why a blogger doesn’t have to be a writer.
- Why bloggers bring more to the table than traditional writers.
- Why video is so important.
- Importance of an editorial calendar.
- The art and science of traveling the world.
- His writing process.
- Why waiting to start is not the answer.
- If Matt’s awake, he’s working.
- If travel and sharing it is not your true passion, becoming a travel blogger will not work.
- Why a trip to the Galapagos rekindled his passion and joy of travel.
The Four Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss
Eight Books that Changed Matt’s Life
Travels by Michael Crichton
Four Seasons Voluntourism Activities
Ritz Carlton Voluntourism Activities
Lonley Planet Blog Sherpa
15 Places Matt Wants to Travel in 2015 Blog Post
Linblad Expeditions to Galapagos
People Mentioned on this episode:
Hope you enjoyed this episode and please join me in thanking Matt for being here! And thank you as well. We’ll see you next time!
Would You Help Spread the Word About the Podcast? I’d be forever grateful if you helped share the podcast. Click here for a pre-populated tweet to help spread the word to your friends on Twitter. THANK YOU!
Feedback on the Podcast If you have any suggestions for upcoming shows or a question for an upcoming episode, leave a comment below. If you enjoyed this podcast, I’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave me a review and rating over on iTunes. Your taking a minute to do this allows me to help more people with this podcast, so I really appreciate it (once on that page, simply click on the “View in iTunes” button to leave your review — thanks very much!)