My guest today is Heather Balogh Rochfort. She and I met on a media trip to Loreto, Mexico. She has cycled 3,893 miles from Boulder to Miami and from Miami, then jumped on a one way flight to South America to begin a 14 month travel journey. She has climbed more than 45 peaks of 14,000 feet or higher. She even made her recent honeymoon an adventure; spending it traveling in a van. She is founder of the blog, JustAColorado Gal as well a freelance writer for Backpacker magazine.
In today’s episode, Heather shares tips for sponsored posts, pitching an editor and the importance of honing in on a niche that is a passion. [click to tweet]
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
The Finer Details of Episode 53 with Heather Balogh Rochfort!
In this episode Heather shares how her online travel diary turned into one of the most popular outdoor and adventure blogs. We discuss the importance of discovering and defining your niche as a travel blogger or travel writer. In this episode we also discuss:
- Her cross country bike trip from Boulder to Miami.
- How and why you may want to honeymoon in a van.
- How to write for an audience.
- You must want to write, if you want to be a travel blogger. Don’t get into blogging just for freebies.
- If blogging isn’t fun for you, why bother!
- If it’s a struggle to write about a topic, it’s time to redefine your niche! [Click to Tweet]
- How to run gear giveaways to increase traffic and build reader loyalty.
- Heather’s advice for a first giveaway.
- Why you need to learn to say NO to reviews and giveaways that don’t match your niche.
- How to approach a company to request a product for a giveaway.
- Why Rafflecopter is her no fail way to run a giveaway.
- Sponsored post recommendations and why it’s okay to reach out.
- The editor-writer process for Backpacker magazine.
- Advice for pitching an editor.
- Why you must have a clear & concise idea of your story when pitching an editor! [Click to Tweet]
- Your travel blog must be a passion project! [Click to Tweet]
Connect With Heather
Heather Balogh Rochfort on Twitter
Heather Balogh Rochfort on Facebook
Heather Balogh Rochfort on Instagram
Heather Balogh Rochfort on Pinterest
Heather Balogh Rochfort on G+
Heather Balogh Rochfort on Linkedin
Hope you enjoyed this episode and please join me in thanking Heather for sharing such awesome information and actionable tips! Interested in hearing the full podcast? Click here to listen now!
- If it’s a struggle to write, it’s time to redefine your niche! via @ on Episode 53 of @writetotravel podcast http://bit.ly/1NbLfir [Click to Tweet]
- Why you must have clear & concise idea of your story when pitching! via @AColoradoGal on @writetotravel podcast http://bit.ly/1n6kmYs [Click to Tweet]
- Great interview with @ on Episode 53 of @writetotravel podcast http://bit.ly/1n6kmYs [Click to Tweet]
- Your travel blog must be a passion project via @AColoradoGal on @writetotravel podcast http://bit.ly/1n6kmYs [Click to Tweet]
Feedback on the Podcast If you have any suggestions for upcoming shows or a question for an upcoming episode, leave a comment below. If you enjoyed this podcast, I’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave me a review and rating over on iTunes. Your taking a minute to do this allows me to help more people with this podcast, so I really appreciate it (once on that page, simply click on the “View in iTunes” button to leave your review — thanks very much!)