Malcolm Griffiths is a PR executive at Development Counsellors International, Destination Marketing Agency otherwise known as DCI. He shares the inter-workings of a PR agency, the formula to creating and maintaining a relationship with PR reps as well as tips for pitching and what to do and not to do on a media trip or influencer campaign.
Malcolm has worked for over 15 years in tourism destination marketing. He is a Vice President at DCI, which is a PR firm specializing in travel and tourism economic development. Malcolm is a destination marketing communications and marketing partnerships specialist with long and short haul, domestic AND international travel destinations. He currently works with destinations ranging from Visit California, Discover The Palm Beaches, Visit Iowa and Chattanooga CVB.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
The Finer Details of Episode 54 with Malcolm Griffiths!
In this episode Malcolm shares the importance of travel bloggers and writers creating a symbiotic relationship with PR as well as how PR firms work with bloggers, writers and influencers. Here are some of the points we cover in this episode:
- Malcolm’s journey in travel and PR.
- Why working in travel or tourism is a lifestyle and not a job.
- How PR firms work with bloggers, writers and influencers. [Click to Tweet]
- Why, at the end of the day it’s all about content creation and content distribution.
- The importance of finding unique story ideas to peak interest with PR and their clients.
- The PR most wanted list.
- Understanding the PR company responsibility to their destination clients.
- The Blogger-PR relationship.
- Why being reliable is the #1 quality for a travel writer or blogger.
- Why you should not be afraid to pick up the phone to connect with PR.
- Understand their clients have specific needs and your writing niche or focus must be congruent.
- The job of a PR rep is to meet their clients marketing goals.
- The difference between a media trip and an influencer campaign.
- Why Google Analytics and your social media footprint are important to PR.
- At the end of the day, it comes down to engagement on social channels!
- Expectations of social media on a media trip.
- Why you must look at the PR- Travel Blogger or Travel Writer relationship as a partnership. [Click to Tweet]
- Why DCI doesn’t like the ‘pay to post’ model.
- How to appy for DCI media trips.
- Why it’s important to connect with U.S. state CVB’s and not just a specific city or town.
- Why not showing PR your Google Analytics is a red flag.
- Not following through with deliverables, hashtags and other pre-trip agreements is a huge NO.
- Why you shouldn’t ask for itinerary changes once you are on the ground for a media trip.
- The importance of Twitter chats for building relationships with PR and destinations. [Click to Tweet]
- Nurturing and then maintaining your relationship with PR is the key!
- Let PR know when content is posted if you want to impress.
In addition to the above points, Malcolm shares that the best way to be noticed by a PR rep is to understand their clients and the current marketing goals. Click here to listen to the podcast now!
Episode 13 with Elaine Masters
Episode 22 with Erika Helstrom
Malcolm’s Email to get on DCI Mailing list
California Dream Eater Youtube Channel
Chase Ramsey DreamEater on Instagram
Top Chef California Season
#TravelSkills Chat on Twitter
Hope you enjoyed this episode and please join me in thanking Malcolm for sharing such awesome information and actionable tips! Interested in hearing the full podcast? Click here to listen now!
- Malcolm Griffiths of @AboutDCI shares how PR firms work with bloggers, writers & influencers on @writetotravel podcast http://bit.ly/1Sf1K3J [Click to Tweet]
- Great interview with Malcolm Griffiths of @AboutDCI on Episode 54 of @writetotravel podcast http://bit.ly/1Sf1K3J [Click to Tweet]
- Why you must look at the PR & #TravelBlogger or #TravelWriter relationship as a partnership http://bit.ly/1lKDutI #writetotravel [Click to Tweet]
- The importance of Twitter chats for building relationships w/ PR via Malcolm Griffiths @AboutDCI http://bit.ly/1Sf1K3J #writetotravel [Click to Tweet]
Feedback on the Podcast If you have any suggestions for upcoming shows or a question for an upcoming episode, leave a comment below. If you enjoyed this podcast, I’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave me a review and rating over on iTunes. Your taking a minute to do this allows me to help more people with this podcast, so I really appreciate it (once on that page, simply click on the “View in iTunes” button to leave your review — thanks very much!)