Tim Leffel is a multi-award-winning travel destinations expert who has been in the travel writing game for almost two decades. He focuses on how to travel well on a budget, where to find the best travel deals on the planet and the entrepreneurial world of blogging.
Tim has spoken at TBEX on three continents, three times at NATJA conferences, and at the San Miguel Writers’ Conference. He is president of Al Centro Media, a web publishing company encompassing multiple blogs, webzines, and resource sites. He oversees the work of 19 bloggers and dozens of freelance contributors on a monthly basis.
He is the founder and editor of Perceptive Travel, an award-winning online travel magazine for independent travelers. He is also the founder of Cheapest Destinations Blog which was established in 2003 and is one of the most popular single-writer travel blogs in the world, with more than 150,000 monthly page views. He is the publisher of many additional blogs; including Travel Writing 2.0 & Hotel Scoop.
Not only is he a Publisher and blogger, but the author of 5 travel books including his newly revised Travel Writing 2.0: Earning Money From Your Travels in the New Media Landscape, which has been one of the top-selling travel writing book for the last 5 years.
Tim teaches the Travel Writing Overdrive Course. This course is only available a few times a year with a mastermind level with scheduled conference calls together. Enrollment is available is open on Teachable. His course is a proven step-by-step course for raising your travel blogging and freelance writing earnings THIS YEAR!
Tim was my guest on episode 77 where we chatted about How to Turn Your Travel Blog into a Business
The Finer Details of Episode 77 with Tim Leffel!
In today’s episode, Tim Leffel shares the revenue streams that have allowed him to make a full time living with travel blogging. He also shares his number one piece of advice for any blogger who wants to monetize their website.
Here is a glimpse of an average day at work for Tim while on assignment!
In this episode we also discuss:
- The importance of reading great literature to become a great writer. [Click to Tweet]
- Why reading stories that have won travel awards will improve your writing.
- How to write with a critical eye.
- Using all five senses when writing.
- Why ‘good writing’ isn’t only sharing what you’ve seen. (Don’t write self-centered)
- Why you should spend less time on social media and more time doing tasks that will put $$ in your bank account.
- The point of diminishing return for social media.
- The more time you spend on social media, the less you accomplish! [Click to Tweet]
- Concentrate on your writing if you want to be a writer! [Click to Tweet]
- Why Tim believes Instagram will be ‘pay to play’ very soon.
- Why Tim believes Pinterest is the most worthwhile social media platform.
- Why reading his book; Travel Writing 2.0: Earning Money From Your Travels in the New Media Landscape will put you a year ahead of the rest of bloggers.
- Why you need to read Tim’s book if you want to make money as a blogger. [Click to Tweet]
- Why you must have multiple streams of income to be secure as a blogger.
- Tim’s different revenue streams.
- His #1 piece of advice for bloggers.
- Why you have nothing to sell sponsors without an audience.
- Why it’s smarter to be a specialist than a generalist.
- Why you must have a resource page.
- Why traffic & influence are key to success.
- How to lower bounce rate.
- The biggest mistake bloggers are making today.
For all answers and full the episode >> Listen to Episode 77 Now!
Travelers’ Tales: The Best Travel Writing, Volume 10: True Stories from Around the World
Guanajuato Street Food tour
Guanajuato Podcast with Chris Christensen
Tim’s favorite authors; Graham Greene, Paul Theroux, Tim Cahill & Peter Mathiessen
Transitions Abroad Narrative Contest
Don George’s book;Travel Writing
Expeditioner’s Top Blog Report
Nomadic Matt & Pat Flynn Resources pages
Tim’s article; 14 Useful Travel Gear Items For $20 or Less
Business of Blogging Facebook Group
Submit your work to Tim at Perceptive Travel Blog & Luxury Latin America
Tim’s Books timleffel.com/travel-books
Hope you enjoyed this episode and please join me in thanking Tim for sharing such awesome information and actionable tips! Interested in hearing the full podcast? Click here to listen now!
- Loved the episode with @timleffel & learning about how to turn my blog into a business via @writetotravel! http://bit.ly/288MwoK #blogger [Click to Tweet]
- Concentrate on your writing if you want to be a writer! via @timleffel on @writetotravel Podcast http://bit.ly/288MwoK #writetotravel [Click to Tweet]
- Why you must read Travel Writing 2.0 by @timleffel if you want to make money as a blogger via @writetotravel! http://bit.ly/288MwoK #blogger [Click to Tweet]
- The more time you spend on social media, the less you accomplish via @timleffel on @writetotravel Podcast http://bit.ly/288MwoK [Click to Tweet]
Feedback on the Podcast If you have any suggestions for upcoming shows or a question for an upcoming episode, leave a comment below. If you enjoyed this podcast, I’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave me a review and rating over on iTunes. Your taking a minute to do this allows me to help more people with this podcast, so I really appreciate it (once on that page, simply click on the “View in iTunes” button to leave your review — thanks very much!)