Today’s show focuses on how travel bloggers can succeed by working as an affiliate partner with tour companies. Libby Shabada & Jonny Geese share the best way to build affiliate income with Intrepid Tours.
Libby is the Digital Marketing Specialist for Intrepid Travel’s North American marketing team located in Toronto. Libby manages their North American affiliate program and works closely with Versa to run the program.
Jonny manages several affiliate programs for Versa Marketing with Rakuten Marketing, ShareAsale, Impact, and CJ Affiliates networks. Jonny is a CJ Ambassador and has been helping manage the Intrepid Travel Affiliate program within CJ since March of 2018.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
Monetizing Your Travel Blog with the Intrepid Tour Affiliate Program
Click here to listen to the full episode to learn how affiliate links work, the best content to create to convert your affiliate links to income, how to use newsletters work to drive affiliate sales and lots more! This is “BITW 138: Monetizing Your Travel Blog with the Intrepid Tour Affiliate Program”.
View this post on Instagram
Lake Titicaca holds a special place in many hearts. Using the versatile totora reeds found in the shallows of the lake, the indigenous Uros originally built their islands to isolate themselves from rival tribes. Have you visited this fascinating part of Peru? #BeIntrepid (Taken on Ultimate Peru | link in bio)
Travel bloggers can earn income and monetize their blogs working as an affiliate partner with tour companies like Intrepid Travel. Travel writers can earn a regular income with affiliate programs and tour companies are one of the best for bloggers.
About Intrepid Travel: One of the world’s leading small-group adventure travel companies. Since it’s inception in 1989, Intrepid has focused on providing a style of travel that has all the benefits of independent travel with none of the hassle; small groups traveling at the grassroots level, meeting local people, trying local food and having real-life cultural experiences. Intrepid grew from two entrepreneurs with a passion for travel to a global organization supported by 1,000+ employees in offices across the globe and taking around more than 100,000 passengers on trips to all seven continents.
About Libby Shabada: Libby is the Digital Marketing Specialist for Intrepid Travel’s North American marketing team located in Toronto. Libby manages its North American affiliate program and works closely with Versa to run the program.
About Jonny Geese: Jonny manages several affiliate programs for Versa Marketing with Rakuten Marketing, ShareAsale, Impact, and CJ Affiliates networks. Jonny is a 2018 CJ Ambassador and has been helping manage the Intrepid Travel Affiliate program within CJ since March of 2018.
A portion of this podcast was a Q&A. Below are the questions from listeners and the Aspiring Travel Writer Facebook Group.
Question from Chuck Prevatte from www.foodwinebeertravel.com
- How to get started and what are the minimum requirements for traffic to get started with Intrepid?
Question from Jenn-Lee Hadlock from www.lovestamptravel.com
- What amount of social media followers and website traffic do you typically like to see before working with a blogger?
Question from Diane Dobry from dianesdiscoveries.tumblr.com and gettinghungary.tumblr.com
- What kind of writing you are looking for and for what venue and audience?
Question from Bob Bales from TheTravelingFool.com
- What do you find the most successful strategy in the travel market? Is is a natural link in a story or a widget embedded in the article or some other way.
Question from Maria Berneiser Haase from EuropeUpClose.com
- What types of posts perform best for tour affiliate links like itineraries/things to do in/tour reviews/other?
Question from Nina Clapperton with ninaoutandabout.ca
- On average, how much does your affiliate program tend to provide bloggers? How discerning are you in working with bloggers? Do you find certain types of tours you offer sell better than others through affiliate programs? Do you find the affiliate works better when there are pictures involved?
Question from Wisterian Watertree from www.wisterianwatertree.com
- If you want to make money you need really big ticket items unless you have a huge following. So can you actually make money as a tour affiliate?
Question from Jordan from globaldebauchery.com
- For a travel blogger just starting out, what sort of agreements/rates should we be looking to negotiate?
Top Takeaways from the Podcast with Libby Shabada & Jonny Geese:
- An overview of how affiliate links work
- How to sign up with Intrepid via CJ.com
- How to get started with affiliate networking
- Why Share A Sale is the easiest affiliate network to use
- The criteria for accepting affiliate partners at Intrepid
- Creating content to convert your affiliate links to income is the key
- Importance of a blogger’s niche to align with the brands they are working with
- Importance of knowing the ideal customer of the affiliate program
- Learn about the ideal Intrepid customer
- The most important aspects to think about when choosing an affiliate program
- Disclosure rules for American bloggers who are including affiliate links in their posts
- How cookies work with affiliate links
- Why itineraries work well to convert affiliate sales for tours
- How to use the reps at Intrepid to help you create content for your affiliate blog post
- Why it always comes back to quality content for successful affiliate sales
- Why newsletters work to drive affiliate sales
- Why you must follow program terms when working with affiliates
- How to negotiate a bigger commission percentage
- Understanding cookies (in computer lingo)
- Find sponsors for your website. Get paid for your great content with shareasale.com
- Learn about the 2019 Travel Academy Media Trips & Mastermind
Full episode >> Listen to Episode 138 Now!
Connect with Intrepid Travel
- Loved this episode about Monetizing Your Travel Blog with the @Intrepid_Travel Affiliate Program on the @writetotravel podcast! https://bit.ly/2E3pc3X [CLICK TO TWEET]
Hope you enjoyed this episode and are inspired to think about how you can monetize your blog in 2019! Interested in hearing the full podcast? Click here to listen now!
Feedback on the Podcast If you have any suggestions for upcoming shows or a question for an upcoming episode, leave a comment below. If you enjoyed this podcast, I’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave me a review and rating over on iTunes. Taking a minute to do this allows me to help more people with this podcast, so I really appreciate it (once on that page, simply click on the “View in iTunes” button to leave your review — thanks very much!)
Pin for Later!