Richard has been published in “The Baltimore Sun”, “The Arizona Star”, NPR’s “Savvy Traveler”, 40+ Travel & Leisure, “Modern Maturity”, internationalliving.com “Mexico Insider”, Rudy Maxa’s Traveler, and my own 52perfectdays.com. Assignments have taken him to Pakistan, French Polynesia, England, Italy, Panama, Mexico, Hawaii, Germany, Austria and New Guinea. Find out how a chance meeting with travel expert Rudy Maxa launched his travel writing career.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
On Episode 19: How to Get International Media Trips by Writing for Examiner with Richard Basch you’ll learn how film school led him to a career in photography and eventually to travel writing. You’ll also learn what defines good writing, why it’s important to showcase people in your travel writing and why you shouldn’t get fixated on the wordsmithing on the 19th episode of the Break Into Travel Writing podcast.
The Finer Details of This Show Include:
- How he met and worked with Rod Serling, Dustin Hoffman and Mia Farrow.
- If you want to be a travel writer you need to be able to conduct and interview and write a great pitch.
- Portrait, nighttime and travel photography tips.
- Why you should work directly with PR.
- Why you have to use your website to showcase your work and clips. Consider it your resume.
- How to find unique story ideas.
- How Richard got a 10 day media trip to Egypt.
- Why I’m seriously thinking of becoming a blogger for Examiner.com.
- How to extend your press trips.
- How to use stock photography to supplement your income.
- Why you must find out who is having press events in your city.
- Why you must find and connect with any foreign embassies in your city.
- How to use active listening to be a great interviewer.
- Richard’s advice to become a better writer.
If your photos aren’t any good, you aren’t close enough!
Grow where you are planted. Find a unique story in your city only you can report on!
Rudy Maxa’s World
The Blue Angel
Marlene Dietrich Films
The Sound of Music
John & Mary
The Antioch Adventure by Richard Basch
Examiner.com (out of business)
Great Hotels of the World
Nikon D300 Camera
Nikon 18-135 Lens
Del Coronado Hotel
People Mentioned on this episode:
Hope you enjoyed this episode and please join me in thanking Richard for being here! And thank you as well. We’ll see you next time!
Would You Help Spread the Word About the Podcast? I’d be forever grateful if you helped share the podcast. Click here for a pre-populated tweet to help spread the word to your friends on Twitter. THANK YOU!
Feedback on the Podcast If you have any suggestions for upcoming shows or a question for an upcoming episode, leave a comment below. If you enjoyed this podcast, I’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave me a review and rating over on iTunes. Your taking a minute to do this allows me to help more people with this podcast, so I really appreciate it (once on that page, simply click on the “View in iTunes” button to leave your review — thanks very much!)