Creating a blog is essential for travel writers. Creating one on your own can be simple and quick. This article shares how to start a WordPress travel blog in a few easy steps.
Blogging is what changed my life and allowed me to travel the world mostly through free media trips as well as make thousands of dollars a month, all by doing something that I love. You can start a money-making travel blog for just a few dollars a month! Below, I have included the most current discounted pricing that SiteGround offers, so that all of you can start a blog for cheap. Act quick though because I’m not sure how long these low prices will last!
Click here to start a blog on WordPress, then use the tutorial below for the easy directions.
Start A WordPress Travel Blog
If you want to start a WordPress blog for cheap, then choosing SiteGround for your hosting needs may be your answer. SiteGround is my preferred web host and I personally have had a great experience with them. Siteground is in the midst of their big Migration Promotion. Until September 8th, you will be able to claim a free website migration and а free domain transfer. If you currently have hosting, but aren’t happy with it, Siteground will offer compensation of up to 6 months of your contract with the current host.
Blogging has been one of the best things ever for me. Using the right tools, strategy, and a few simple tips you could be traveling the world for free and earning over $50,000, $75,000, or more a month from blogging-related services.
I am able to work from home, I can travel whenever I want, I have a flexible schedule and more. I am absolutely loving life and I can’t believe how much my life has improved in just the past few years.
Anyone can make money with a blog, and I was able to make the money back that I paid for my own blog hosting within a month. It is well worth it to pay for blog hosting and I’m sure you will be able to make your money back quickly as well.
SiteGround is one of the top web hosting companies in 2016 and you can start your own blog with them for as low as $3.95 a month! There are no contracts, which is great, but to be honest I doubt you’d move to another host after using Siteground.
You may be thinking, “Well I can just start a Blogger site for a little cheaper.” NOOOOO… Don’t do that. There are so many reasons why a Blogger/Blogspot blog is a really bad idea.
If you are interested in ever making money off your blog, freelancing or turning it into a business, then paying for your hosting, such as through SiteGround, is a MUST. It’s extremely cheap as well to go through SiteGround AND you get a free domain. You can run any of your own advertisements, affiliate links, direct advertising, etc. with a blog run on SiteGround. Making money on Blogger or any other free blogging platform is very difficult, and in many cases never happens. Most advertisers and companies tend to run away from Blogger websites because they don’t view them as professional as self-hosted WordPress blogs, so that’s another big reason to use SiteGround.
My suggestion to every blogger is to use WordPress for your platform and Siteground for hosting. Being self-hosted on WordPress is the way to go!
There are many reasons why you may want to choose Siteground for your WordPress blog. I honestly believe they are one of the best web hosting providers. These reasons include:
- It’s easy to use. Yes, ANYONE can create a WordPress blog easily with my tutorial below. Siteground makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog.
- Free Domain Name.
- Free Setup & Transfer.
- Free Daily Backup of your website.
- It takes just 3 clicks to set up a new site with SiteGround, and they even call to guide you through it.
- SiteGround web hosting offers technical support. Their 24/7 Technical Support chat option is amazing. They have even helped with Worpdress issues I had.
- SiteGround is extremely affordable and they offer cheap web hosting. You can have a blog of your own and the only real expense you need to pay is the cheap blog hosting which starts at just $3.95 per month.
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to monetize your blog, then you will want to be self-hosted.
- You will appear much more professional to readers, companies, and so on if you are self-hosted on SiteGround with a WordPress website.
Ask any blogger about hosting. Hosting can feel like a necessary evil if you work with many of the other companies out there. There are a lot of web hosting companies. I have used two others in the past. I can tell you SiteGround is honestly my favorite. There is a reason why many bloggers and entrepreneurs choose SiteGround for their web hosting needs.
If you plan on starting a blog on SiteGround and you are interested in learning how to start a blog on WordPress, continue below. Remember, if you sign up for SiteGround, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out. That’s what I’m here for so don’t be afraid to send me an email at alexa at breakintravelwriting dot com.
1. Register your domain name.
You can click here to purchase a domain name and create a blog, then continue to follow the easy steps below.
The very first thing you will need to do when starting a WordPress blog on Siteground is to think about what you want your domain name to be. This can be tough, and I would give some serious thought to this.
Tip: Don’t pick a URL with a double constant. For example www.wanderroundtheworld.com.
I love my blog name because it’s very descriptive and I think most people understand my niche right away. On the other hand, It’s a long URL. Take time to think about your website URL before you purchase it.
You can get your domain directly through Siteground and make the whole process very easy. If you do this, you can get a FREE domain for the first year as long as you buy 12 months worth of Siteground web hosting. This makes it well worth it to sign up for at least 12 months of hosting as you will be saving a good amount of money and won’t have to pay the set up fee. You also get a cheaper monthly price when you buy at least 12 months of hosting, so the free domain just makes it even better. If you decide to get the free domain, just continue to the next step as you can buy your hosting and get the free domain all in one step.
2. Buy hosting for your blog.
Setting up a WordPress blog on SiteGround is very easy and is one of the first steps to start a WordPress travel blog. First, we will talk about the costs of blogging:
- To receive the cheapest price to start a blog, then choosing the “Basic” plan is really all you need. It’s only $3.95 per month through my link (due upfront in full) I would sign up for the 12-month plan as this is still a great price and very affordable for one year of blogging. If you purchase a 12-month plan, your total price is only $71.40 a year. Plus, you still receive the free domain name when you sign up for 12 months or more which saves you money.
- The Basic plan is all you really need for now, so skip the GrowBig and GoGeek plans as they are more expensive. You can always change it later to a different plan if you want to (and just pay the difference), so there is no need to sign up for extra that you do not need. They only reason you’ll really need to upgrade is if you are getting great traffic! That should mean you are making more affiliate money as well.
- Remember, if you sign up using this link, then you will get your domain for free if you purchase a 12 month or longer blog hosting plan.
There are many reasons you should consider purchasing a 12-month hosting plan. Month-to-month is less effective, and I highly recommend signing up for a minimum of 12 months for many reasons. By signing up for a minimum of 12 months, you will receive a free domain name, lower pricing, and you won’t have to deal with an expired website after each month.
For example, if hosting is not renewed or if the card expires, then your website is down and you risk losing business (visitors/traffic) when you pay on a month-to-month basis. It’s also exceptionally more expensive to pay month-by-month rather than in one lump sum. The more years you sign up for, the less you pay.
You can also receive a refund at any time, so I highly recommend signing up for the 12 months as it is the cheapest option. Some think that if they sign up for a yearly term then they are locked in a contract. However, that is not true. There are no contracts and you will be refunded should you decide to cancel. It’s a full refund within 30 days and then pro-rated after that. So whatever you don’t use, you’ll get back. There’s really no risk!
When you are ready to create your blog, follow the steps below to buy hosting for your blog.
- Go to SiteGround and click the “Get Started Now” button.
- Click on the package you are interested in.
- Enter your domain name if you already have one, or sign up for a new domain name here.
- Enter your personal and payment information.
- Next, you will be asked to enter a password.
3. Install WordPress.
This is probably the part you were afraid of! You can follow these steps to install WordPress manually:
Or you can Get Free and Easy WordPress installation by SiteGround!
When you choose SiteGround, WordPress hosting service includes 3 easy install options that can save you the hassle:
- SiteGround WordPress Setup Wizard
- WordPress Auto-install through Softaculous
- Free manual installation by SiteGround Support Team
That’s much easier! SiteGround makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and it is FREE.
Now you have time to work on the design and producing high-quality content instead of learning programmer jargon!
If you sign up for SiteGround, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always chat directly with one of their support staff or send me an email and I can help you out. That’s what I’m here for so don’t be afraid to send me an email.
These are the basics to getting your travel website up and going quickly! Have questions? Have other suggestions for new bloggers about “How to Create A Travel Writer Website in WordPress”? Please leave your suggestions in the comments below. I hope you found this article about how to start a WordPress travel blog useful!
Here are more website-related posts and podcasts you should take a look at:
- Top 10 Checklist to Launch Your Travel Website with Todd Meisler
- Top 10 Checklist to Launch Your Travel Website with Todd Meisler Podcast (Audio)
- Why Every Travel Writer Needs a Website with Todd Meisler
- Why Every Travel Writer Needs a Website with Todd Meisler Podcast (Audio)
- How to Create A Travel Writer Website in WordPress
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on some of the links in this post and sign up for SiteGround, I might receive a commission. There is no additional cost to you and it is a way you can help support this website and podcast!